Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Still on Ed's terms


Last night Ben sent me a text:
I don't care what we do tomorrow (Valentine's Day), as long as you know how beautiful I think you are.

My body image has left something to be desired lately. It comes and goes in waves, I'm sure some of you can relate. I've been behavior free for 15 months but I still have days, if not weeks sometimes, where I fear getting out of bed and letting the world see my face, my body.

It's like I'm at odds with myself these days. I'm so recovered in the sense that I never even consider purging, restricting, or any of my other old behaviors; but I feel as though lately, being "recovered" is not enough. Will I ever reach a day when instead of considering myself recovered, I simply don't consider myself in the terms of my eating disorder at all? 

This is a scary concept, but one I may want to welcome into my life someday.

On the one hand, I feel a strong attachment to the battle that I fought for so many years to beat Bulimia, and with that attachment comes one to my sisters in the fight, the ones I know and the ones I don't. If you aren't one of us, you may not understand the deep connection we have to one another. My friends who have battled eating disorders are some of the most important people in the world to me, and we hardly ever see each other. It's a deep, almost spiritual connection that binds us together. We know what each other went through, on a level no "normal" person could ever understand.

On the other hand, I want to close the door on this part of my life. I want to forget so much of the years I was clouded by this illness. I did some horrible things to myself, to my family, my friends. During the time I was in the grips of Ed, I did irreversible damage to relationships and to my own psyche.

Just last week I was driving home and I caught myself thinking about some of the unspeakable things I did during my worst years. I had this thought that I would pay any amount of money to be hypnotized to forget any of it ever happened. Sometimes I cannot bare to think of the things Ed made me do. It's horrifying.

Just when I thought I was done being "at a crossroads", I find myself heading down a new path. Maybe I won't forget about my eating disorder, but one day, I hope to really put it all behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment