Monday, November 7, 2011

Meaning

Many of you reading this are probably wondering the meaning behind the title of this blog, "Sitting With Discomfort", so here's the scoop.

About four years ago, I began my journey towards recovery in an intensive outpatient treatment center located in Hartford, Connecticut. After meals we would have some down time in the main room sitting on couches, popping Gas-X after Gas-X (the save-all for girls in recovery with stomach pain), sitting in a very sad silence. This time ranged anywhere from 15 to sometimes 30 minutes of just sitting after each meal, sitting with so much psychological and real pain thanks to the meals we had just eaten. This sitting is what I began to refer to as sitting with discomfort.

Throughout my life I have had to do a lot of sitting with discomfort: in Doctor's waiting rooms, in hospital beds, in therapeutic sessions, during every single meal, and even in my own home. Sitting with discomfort is as much a part of an eating disorder as food itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment